Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, October 12, 2009

Every Single One of Us The Devil Inside

My brother has me roaming around England (Norwich) today, so I have left you in the very capable hands of ...For A Different Kind of Girl, my homegirl from Iowa. I am sure she will leave you completely entertained while I am off storming the castle. FADKOG, make sure they wipe their feet and put the cans in the recycle bin when they leave.

In the spirit of Halloween, my youngest son will be attending junior worship at church Sunday dressed as an adorable little devil.

Yes, because i would bathe in irony if possible, the beauty of this is not lost on me. If you know me, you know I don't exactly walk very evenly down the path of righteousness. I find it fun to stumble a little here and there. However, my husband is filled with the kind of Christian goodness I didn't think was possible to acquire when I picked up this smashingly cute costume on clearance (natch!) at Target (my idea of heaven, btw) two seasons ago. It suits the boy's nature.

That's right. When my sweet little boy isn't acting all devilish the rest of the year (the kid can rock some 'devil horns' with his hands when he becomes all possessed, and yes, I'll proudly admit to teaching him how to do it. Sticking out his tongue as far as he can is an ongoing lesson), he gets to put on the official Satan uniform a few times each October. Dapper red suit. Adorably pointy tail. Shiny black horns. The child rocks that look.


"Yeah, um, can't he be the gorilla again?" my husband asks, assuming the hot, heavy, furry gorilla suit i had for our son since he was a baby will once again illicit 'ooos and ahs' from our church family. "Seriously. Must he be the devil? It's church, for heaven's sake!"

(For heaven's sake. Get it? That's why I love that man...)

To see this child and to ponder that question is to think, 'Well....duh!' This charming little boy is sneaky, snarky and straight up evil at times.

In a cute way, mind you. He is a product of my creation.

And so, in reply, I offer a "Hell no he can't be an ape! We're totally kicking ass in that devil costume."

(and yes, I tossed in my own version of the 'devil horns' and tongue when I said it, too).

My youngest will not be a hobo, clown, super hero or pirate. We're doing this devil thing with gusto. If I'm to burn in hell, as my husband seems to think I'm sometimes going to anyway, it's so going to be for things other than my child's Halloween costume.

But I bet the polyester goodness of the costume will get those flames burning pretty quick
.

(Besides, the gorilla costume? In church? Screams of Darwinism. Devil it is!)

16 comments:

Mango Girl said...

What a little devil you are!

mo.stoneskin said...

I have to point out a (brutal) fact here. Norwich isn't really England, it's a country in its own right...

Michele said...

Try to tell your husband that you are trying to teach a moral lesson to the congregation by allowing him to wear that costume. That lesson....ummmm...that we all have a little devil in us and recognizing that fact will help us be better Christians. Yeah, I totally made that up but it sounds good.

Bijoux said...

Before the advent of harvest parties at church, I wore a witch costume to my junior church Halloween party in the '70's. No one batted an eye back then.

Please post the reactions to his costume!

DCUrbanDad said...

You should have him sneak up next to someone in a pew and scare the bejesus outta them.

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Hee Hee! My daughter is going as a witch this year. Of course she's a "sassy glamour witch," whatever that is!

Christina Lee said...

hahaha I hadn't considered darwinism!!!!

Pat said...

Oh, that is TOO good! You are a bad, bad, girl! I like that in a person!

I'm visiting from FADKOG - just might come back! Like your sense of humor!

Pollyanna said...

An angel would hold almost as much irony - everyone knows there isn't a kid (or adult for that matter) alive that's an angel. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Maybe next year I'll dress one kid as an angel and the other as a devil.

Tracie Nall said...

You can't dress him in the monkey suit because it screams of Darwinism.....too funny!!!

Captain Dumbass said...

Can you teach him to make his finger say "redrum, redrum"?

Kate Coveny Hood said...

You should teach him how to sneak up on people and whisper mischievous suggestions in their ear. Maybe he can team up with an angel in Sunday school.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Nice of you to fill in for Kat.
And if God doesn't have a sense of humor, we're ALL in a lot of trouble!

Bill Lisleman said...

didn't I hear you have go through hell to get to heaven?

little devils can be cute - big ones maybe not so.

Meg said...

I'd totally take my kids dressed as the devil to church..but then, I'm like that.

And yeah..Norwich is England...Lovely little city that I had the pleasure of spending some time in with an ex of mine. Hope you're having fun!

Chairman Bill said...

Well, someone has to do the Devil's work.