Dear Cousin B,
I know I usually call you and wish you a happy birthday, but I thought that this year I would do something a bit different since you're turning 18. Did you know I was in 6th grade when you were born? I can still remember it. I was so excited to finally have a cousin on Mom's side of the family to play with when I was in Charleston. Now, you are a man. A very smart man, but don't get a big head; I am still smarter than you.
I thought that for your 18th birthday I would pass on a little sage advise. Here goes...
1. They say that your high school years are "the best years of your life," well, they are wrong. High school is merely the easiest years of your life. The best years will be when you are an adult. You may have more problems, but the rewards for your effort in life will be so much greater.
2. You will do some dumb crap in the next couple years. Believe me. REALLY DUMB. Dumber than the things you did in high school.
3. Be nice to your parents and sister. Friends come and go, family is forever.
4. Eat your veggies and exercise. When your metabolism goes, you need a backup plan.
5. Don't EVER drink and drive. EVER. EVER. EVER.
6. When you leave home, call your parents and granny at least once a week. They will probably call you more than that, but if you do it at least once a week they won't think you are dead. If you do forget they will call and call and call until they finally get you on the phone. I can guarantee this.
I am sure you probably won't listen to half of what I have just said, but eh, it is worth a shot. Take care. Love you. Have a happy happy birthday young padawan.