Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fleeting Moments

What does a mother feel when she realizes that her children are maturing right before her eyes? Is it a sense of pride? I just know that in the last couple of days I have witnessed my girls growing right before my eyes and it feels wonderful.

On Sunday, LaLa came down with a rash from head to toe. Normally this would be cause in her mind to send her into fits of crying. She would rage against being sick and turn her inner frustration into outward frustration causing everyone around her to be as miserable as she feels. This time it was different. She took it in stride. She sat in the waiting room of the emergency room patiently, even though she was so itchy she could barely stand to be in her own skin. She didn't complain much. She kept her self preoccupied by reading books and coloring in order to avoid being consumed by the uncomfortableness of the situation. I was proud. I was so incredibly proud of her.

Then today, KiKi relayed a story about how LaLa's best friend had asked where LaLa was because obviously she wasn't in school. Apparently, KiKi has grown up to the point where she can relay a story clearly enough to her peers that they know exactly what she is talking about. It was so clear that LaLa's mate's mother sent me a message via facebook to check to see how she was getting on. I was impressed. We parents know that getting a story straight out of a four year old sometimes can be like pulling crocodile teeth. I am proud of her.

Sometimes I think that I get so caught up in everyday activities that I miss little moments like these to be proud of. Sometimes I don't take the time to see my little ones growing up before my eyes. I have always had people tell me with wistfulness in their eyes recalling their own children growing up "It goes by so quickly" and guess what? It does. I really does go by so quickly.

6 comments:

Sueann said...

It sure does!! My "baby boy" is now 42 and has babies of his own and they are in their teens!! Where oh where has time gone! So enjoy and "see" for the time is fleeting!
Hugs
SueAnn

Expat mum said...

I have about 5 months left with the Queenager at home...... Your words speak to my situation too!

mum in meltdown said...

It truly does go too fast. My beautiful 1st born is due to be a teenager next month....I can't believe it. Tends to make you feel old too.

Granny said...

It seems like yesterday when I drove you and your mom home from the hospital when you were born. Now you are all grown up and have me two beautiful great granddaughters, who are growing up before my very eyes.I am so proud of all of you. God is good!!!.

XOXO

Granny

Michelle Reeves - Bod for tea said...

You are so right. I can't believe DD is almost 2 now. Love the comment from Granny by the way :D

Unknown said...

I definitely agree,really time flies.
we can't stop it..
enjoy life to the fullest.