Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, March 17, 2011

I've Decided to Be Selfish...

and guess what? I don't feel a bit guilty about it. I finally decided that I am worth the extra time. My health is worth the extra time. My well being is worth the extra money. My self image is worth the effort. I am a mother, a wife, a friend, a multi-tasking expert. I put everybody's priorities ahead of mine. I took care of other people but I didn't take care of myself.

I didn't take care of myself and I started to suffer for it. My weight became out of control. I hurt my ankle and I couldn't heal it because I didn't go to the doctor. I don't have time for the doctor. My weight on that ankle was making the healing process take longer. I felt tired all the time- not tired I shouldn't have stayed up late tired, but tired I just don't want to get out of bed because that is entirely too much effort tired. I felt blah. I don't like blah. If you have ever met me or read my blog, you know that blah is not my thing at all.

I finally had enough of it 2 months ago. I finally decided that I am worth my time and my effort and I decided to be selfish. My first step in being selfish was a joined WeightWatchers- 12lbs off so far. My next step was spending time on things that made me happy. I have carved out more time for me to spend time with my friends. I have more coffee mornings and lunches with friends in the last month that I can recall ever doing. I am taking time to read more books (which I didn't think was even possible considering that I read more than most people I know). I spend time with my husband just being goofy. I am taking walks with the girls in the afternoons and spending time outdoors, even when it is a bit cold, because I love the outdoors. I am being selfish and I don't care.

11 comments:

The Broad said...

You are not being selfish at all ... you are 'loving' yourself -- there is a difference. Someone wise once pointed out to me that the Golden Rule says to love others AS you love yourself -- not more! Congratulations on taking back your life :-)

Sueann said...

Well good for you!! And congrats on the 12 lbs!!! That is super!
Tis good to take care of yourself...no one else will do it!! Kudos hun...kudos!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Mom in High Heels said...

Good for you! It's not selfish to take care of yourself. If you fall apart, who's going to take care of your family?
Congrats on the 12 pounds! That's fantastic.

Vodka Logic said...

Congrats on the 12 lbs..that is great. And with the extra "selfish" activities sounds like more will come off.

I don't think you are being selfish, you are being smart, a happy mom (person)is a better mom.

Expat mum said...

The best kind of "selfish". Well done.

Captain Dumbass said...

Yay you!

Muddling Along said...

Good on you (and its not selfish, its practical)

They do say put your own oxygen mask on before helping others - you taking some time and focus on yourself is exactly the same thing

Granny said...

I learned a long time ago that if you didn't take care of yourself, yourself,no one else would. You always have take time to smell the roses along the way.
The twelve pounds are wonderful.

See you soon. Love to all.

Granny

Jenn B said...

That's not selfish in my book.

Cause if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
You have to take care of yourself, too.
And well done on WW, too!!!

Irish Gumbo said...

(highfive)

Smart lady, you are. Keep it up!

Unknown said...

You need to take care of yourself...
enjoy your day.
great blog!!