Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

No Heat...Once Again

If it isn't one thing, it's another. That's the saying that most closely resembles my life at any given moment. Apparently, Murphy (as in Murphy's Law) has decided to take up residence in my house once again. Fortunately, we don't have any heat at my house right now, so maybe he will take a hike. I doubt it.

Yes, you did read that right. We have no heat. Again. This time I can't even say it wasn't my fault because if I had been observant I would have noticed that my hot water was set to be heated all day, thus depleting all my gas supply in around a month's time. Yes, all my gas, what should normally last 2-3 months, gone. I am guessing that one of the kids hit a button on the boiler controls and set it to heat the water "all day"(usually I heat the water a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours at night). To top it off the gas company says they can't make a delivery for 7-10 days.

So right now we are in a mess. We have hot water because I can run that off my electric, but we have no heat. Last night I spent the night at my best friend's house, but I don't want to move in and take over her house. So, I am weighing my options and trying to decide what to do and hoping that the gas company comes through and we get our delivery before they say we will.

Moral of the story: cut your kids fingers off keep an eye on the gas levels in the tank and check the boiler settings every day.

12 comments:

Vodka Logic said...

Holy cow, that's insane that it takes that long to get gas.

When I was a kid we lived in the UK and our house had no central heat it was crazy.

Local Girl said...

Oh no! Tell them you have 2 kids and no heating and they'll hopefully come earlier. I have a spare electric heater if you want to borrow it? x

Hope said...

When in England, do as the English do...put on another layer or two of clothing.

My MIL is trussed up like a turkey 9 months out of the year as they all but refuse to run their heat.

I am wearing at least two layers of clothing at all times, but that is down from three the last couple of years. I must be adapting.

Maybe the fates will intervene and your gas will come early.

The Moiderer said...

We have a telephone monitor on our tank (oil) provided by the fuel company. They monitor the levels and automatically send a tanker to refill when it reaches a certain level. I know it's available for gas to. You might want to ask them about it

tarichuck said...

Yikes-hopefully the gas will come early so you can get back to normal.

Joanie said...

My hot water ran out again, from my NEW hot water heater. This morning I had to hit the reset button. Fortunately, I don't have a gas problem like you (oh! that sounds funny!!) Good luck!!

Muddling Along said...

Hope you've somehow managed to wrangle some gas

We have a tank of oil for heating / hot water and I live in perpetual fear that we run out... we're currently trying to eak it out (nothing like an astronomical fuel price to focus you on how warm you actually need to be) by burning wood/coal and I'm getting to the stage of considering cutting up the furniture and burning that since it'd probably be cheaper...

Good luck

Sueann said...

This is truly a bummer!!! I sure hope you get that gas soon! Good luck
Hugs
SueAnn

法律諮詢 said...

hooray, your writings on theater and writing much missed!

JallieDaddy said...

It must be awful having no heat at this time of year! We had that, but due to a faulty boiler installation - and before we had kids to keep warm! Sounds like you're having a hard time: should make for an interesting Dear So & So this week...

Is it possible maybe to lock the bioler cupboard / controls? Hope you get it sorted out quickly

Kimberly Wright said...

Damn. We did not have heat for 3 days. Couldn't imagine not going as long as you will be.

nanhai-tensteps.com said...

Very interesting, thank you for sharing!