Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Bumps in the Night

I grew up in one of the most haunted cities in America, Charleston, SC, so it is no wonder that I believe in ghosts. In Charleston, most of the historic buildings have some sort of ghost story attached to them. In the South End Brewery there is the ghost of a cotton merchant who hanged himself after watching his crop and fortune go up in flames and sink to the bottom of the harbor. The local restaurant Poogan's Porch has it's resident ghost Zoe St. Amand, a spinster school teacher who once lived in the building when it was a tenement. There is also a ghost at the Dock Street Theater that parades around in his formal attire. I learned most of this on a ghost walk through my haunted hometown. Other bits I know just from living in Charleston, it is like common knowledge amongst the residents.



The Dock Street Theater
Photo credit: http://www.sdparanormal.com

I find that having lived in this town has caused me to have certain beliefs that affect my life; not in big ways, just little habits. For one, because I move so much, I always assume my new home will be haunted. I carry this belief until I have lived there two months. It is like a trial run. During this first two months, if my husband is working nights, I make sure Elizabeast is in bed with me at night. Did you know that dogs sense the supernatural better than humans? Also, once I lay down, I don't open my eyes, unless I have to; shadows play tricks on my eyes. I have a special order that I turn off the lights in my house moving from the furthest end of my house to my bedroom. Ok, well maybe that is my OCD coming out.

While I have not had an actual supernatural experience, I do believe in them. When people tell me about their experiences, the hairs go up on my arms and on the back of my neck. I may not have a resident ghost in this house, but I am prepared.

This post was written as a part of Josie's Writing Workshop, located on her blog Sleep is for the Weak. Stop by there and check out all the other blogs that have linked up. Also, if you are stuck or want to work on your writing, Josie's prompts are great for wiping the cobwebs out of your mind.