Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A "Sugar Milk" Review

As you know, I am normally not a review type of girl. This time however, I am compelled to write a review for my friend, Ron Mattock's book "Sugar Milk", not because we are friends, but because the book was brilliant. I "met" Ron a couple of years ago when I stumbled upon his blog "Clark Kent's Lunchbox". I quickly came to adore him, his lovely wife, Ashley, and their (between them) five children. When I found out that Ron was finally going to publish a book, I was chomping at the bit to get my hands ahold of it.


Ron's book "Sugar Milk- what one dad drinks when he can't afford vodka" is a humorous look at his journey from corporate America, where he worked as an executive in "residential home building industry" to a stay at home dad to his two step daughters. The housing bubble burst and he found himself in a world of uncertainty and Care Bears (and I am sure the Care Bears were the terrifying bit). Many men have been felled by such overwhelming odds but he battled on with humor and grace (mostly humor).

There were tales of the chaotic dating world*, a corporation which used "The Secret" for their business model, and school orientation nights, but my favorite tale has to be the about Ron and his famous pancakes. With much embellishment, Ron, explains why each Saturday without fail, he will be up at the crack of dawn making pancakes for his darling step daughters. It isn't so much motivated by his ego and knowing that he makes the best pancakes west of the Mississippi River, but more for self preservation. See, Ron's step daughters, Allie and Avery, made him, to quote the Godfather, "an offer he couldn't refuse". Although, I am sure that was just an embellishment, right Ron? Right?

I really can't say enough about this book. I tore through it cover to cover devouring each word. It is funny, thought provoking, heart wrenching and heart felt. What more could I ask for in a memoir penned by one of my favorite bloggers.

Also, Coldplay, Ron? Seriously? I'm with Ashley on this one.

*OMGoodness, Ron, that chick was skeevy. Ick. Ick. Ick.