Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving in England

I had a fabulous time celebrating Thanksgiving. The only thing that could have made it any better would have been if I was back home in Charleston, SC with the rest of my family or in Chattanooga with my Dad's side of the family. My friend D, prepared a feast. She had turkey, ham, green bean casserole, potato casserole, mashed potatoes, 2 types of stuffing (one English version with sausage and the other with oysters for her husband), candied yams, and of course I brought the pies (which nobody ate cause we were all too full of food).

There were 15 people in attendance. D and her husband M, their 2 kids, Alistair and his wife Melanie*, their 2 kids, N and L who work with D at the barbershop, The Man and I, KiKi and LaLa, and T (who's husband is in Texas right now for some Air Force school). Alistair, Melanie, N, and L are all English and this was their first Thanksgiving celebration.

Dinner started around 6pm in order for our English friends to get off of work in order to come over for dinner. Since this is an American holiday, of course they don't have the day off from work like all the Americans around here. There was a lot of good conversation, a few pints had by all (or wine), and of course the oohing and ahhing over the shere amount of food that was available. The kids had a great time playing together and when D broke out the ginormous bag of leftover Halloween sweets I thought all hell was going to break loose. Alistairs youngest girl is almost as hyperactive as LaLa and doesn't have an off switch. We added candy into this mix. Then we warned Alistair. His response was classic "Thanks for that" as he lifted his pint.

The celebration broke up around 9:30 and we caught a cab back to the hotel around 10:00pm. Thankfully the cabbie seemed very knowledgable of the base and took us directly to the hotel. We lugged all of our car seats, bags and children back to the room and then watched some American football on the Armed Forces Network. My husband and I caught most of the Dallas game and then a little bit of the Phillidelphia game. We ended up finally passing out around 2am.

I think this Thanksgiving proves one thing. It doesn't matter where you are in the world, as long as you have good food, good friends, and good conversation you can have a fabulous time. Also if you add a pint or two into the mix, it is always a good idea to catch a cab, no matter what country you are in. Happy Post Thanksgiving to Everyone! I hope you are all as blessed this holiday season as I have been. Cheers.

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent, or not so innocent depending on who you speak to.

16 comments:

Badass Geek said...

It's awesome that you can still catch American football TV programming over there... I would miss that terribly.

Kat said...

My husband might have died if we couldn't watch football.

Anonymous said...

So true. Awesome friends cannot be underestimated!

Anonymous said...

We do actually have quite a bit of American Football on TV over here. Hubby and I used to go every weekend and support the London Monarchs when we had The World Bowl, which was a European competition where US players came over to get more off season practice in.
I also used to follow Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a while - when they were rubbish!
See we aren't all uneducated you know!

Glad you had a good day - I was worried about you!

Kat said...

YaYa-exactly

Tismee- Once I get Sky I am going to be emailing you to find out what channel it is on.

Kristin said...

I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving! Mike was excited to hear from T and is planning a beer shipment no less. We thought about you guys and of course miss you more b/c you're not here!

Captain Dumbass said...

Glad you had a good time.

Cameron said...

The word 'pint' makes me thirsty...like I want a pint right now. Glad you had a great Thanksgiving way over there on the other side of the world!

Unknown said...

It's great to hear that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Can you even have one without pints?

The Stiletto Mom said...

My husband lived for American football when he was stationed in Germany. He still talks about how late he would stay up to watch it.

Glad you had a good day!

Vodka Mom said...

Cheers to you! Loved the post........now pass me a pint.

OhCaptain said...

So glad you got to enjoy your Thanksgiving!

ChurchPunkMom said...

So glad your first Thanksgiving across the pond was a good one! :) My poor 'new Navy wife' friend was stuck with just her and her 3 little (like under 5 little) girls.. She was kind of bummed at first, but made the best of it.

Sprite's Keeper said...

There's ALWAYS room for pie!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time!!! I just found your blog and I love it. Keep up what you are doing...I'll be back.

Lola said...

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving across the pond!