Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Withdrawl

Whenever a group of expats meet-up there is always a few minutes that we seem to dedicate to naming the things that we miss about our home country. It isn't that we don't appreciate the country that we are currently living in or recognize the fact that we are truly blessed to have the opportunities that we have in our host country, but one always does miss the familiar.

Having just returned from America I have been contemplating the things I truly miss about home. Here are a few of them:

1. The large selection of restaurants. I know in large cities in the UK there is a large selection of restaurants, but here in the area of England that I live in there is a real lack of dining out options. There is a local pub, a kebab shop, a couple of chinese restaurants and a couple of indian take outs. In the small town I lived in before moving here we had a steak house, multiple pizza joints, a subway, a sonic (fast food burgers/chicken/ etc.) a McDonald's, a KFC, a family restaurant that served breakfast all day (bonus), a Taco Bell, a Wendys (fast food), a Mexican restaurant and more. I guess if my husband and children ate chinese food or indian I might feel less restricted, but they are picky and don't so our options are extremely limited here.

2. Seeing my favorite American shows when they are first aired. Yes, I get my shows here but usually it takes months to get them from the original air date in the States. A mild annoyance.

3. Strangers randomly picking up a conversation with you in a supermarket line. It just doesn't happen here. Of course there are times when in the States it used to annoy the hell out of me when I was in a rush, but generally I miss it.

4. Having family in the same country. I have never actually had family live near me my entire adult life, but there is something comforting about knowing they are at least in the same country, even if it is a 20 hour drive away.

5. Water pressure. At my mom's house her shower nearly pins you to the back shower wall. It is awesome. It takes literally 3 seconds to wash all the shampoo out of my hair. In the two houses that I have lived in here in England the water pressure has been less than desired. Of course I desire water pressure that is near equal to being pressure washed so I guess that might be hard to find anywhere.

6. Having air conditioning. Do I really need to explain this one? Of course on the same side of this argument it would be nice to also have a hot summer than lasts longer than the month of July. Which is why I guess air conditioning would be superfluous in England.

7. Understanding all the cultural references. I understand a lot of cultural references here in England now, but sometimes I will just nod my head or just have a look of pure cluelessness on my face. Every once in a while I just wish I was in on all the jokes.

So if you were to leave your home country or have left already, what would/do you miss?