Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Cooking for Real People- Easy Stromboli

For those of you who don't know what Stromboli is, I guess I should explain it. It is an Italian dish, sort of like a pizza that has been rolled up with no sauce. I guess it is similar to a Calzone as well, but it looks like a loaf of bread instead of a pocket. Now, you can add whatever toppings you like in the Stromboli, but we are carnivores around here and like our meat.

Cast of Characters:

1 Tube of Pillsbury French Loaf Dough
1 Package of thinly sliced ham (you won't use the whole thing)
1 Package of Peperoni (you won't use it all)
1 Tablespoon of Butter/Margarine
1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese

Step 1- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F /180 degrees C. (these are things you need to know when you live in England.

Step 2. Find a baking sheet. I use a Pampered Chef Rectangle Stone.


Step 3. Open Dough and put it onto the stone. Find the seam and start unrolling it. Sometimes it gets a little stuck but just keep going. It doesn't have to be neat.

Step 4- Put a layer of ham on the dough. Don't put too much. One slice in the layer is plenty. You don't want to over do it.


Step 5- Put a layer of peperoni on top of the ham. Once again, don't over do it. I usually use deli sliced peperoni but I had to go with what I had on hand which was peperoni slices for pizza.


Step 6- Add a layer of Mozzarella cheese. I use about a cup.


Step 7- Roll the Stromboli up from the shorter side of the rectangle. You don't want to go length ways cause then you will have a super long funny looking Stromboli.

Step 8. Make sure the seam from where you have rolled the Stromboli is on the bottom of the roll. This helps it not fall apart or come unrolled when it is baking. Brush the top with melted butter. Don't skimp, this helps it get nice and brown.

Step 9. Bake for 25-30 min or until nice and golden brown.

Step 10. Slice and enjoy.


My kids love Stromboli. They call it inside out pizza. Oh and I just used toppings that I knew they would like. If it was up to me it would have Italian sausage, peppers, onions....you get the idea. Anyways it is super yummy and super easy. It is also a big hit at parties, so if you are going to any Super Bowl festivities it is a good food to bring along.

30 comments:

Badass Geek said...

Holy hell.

That looks amazing.

Sprite's Keeper said...

I'm glad I asked for proof. Yum! I think I'll try this for Sunday!

Cape Cod Gal said...

Honey, that is an orgasm on a plate! I'd stick a bit of spinach in there too...just so I could say part of it was heathy!

Michelle said...

Yummy! Do you dip yours in pizza sauce?

for a different kind of girl said...

I think you've just helped me figure out what to make for supper tonight! Now, what to have for breakfast....

:)

Cameron said...

Well, well, chef Cat. That looks good, I may have to give that a go. PLUS, it looks pretty durn inexpensive, which I likes.

Anonymous said...

Now I have to hate you b/c I want that and there's nothing I can do about it at the moment! Do you remember my mother in law's stromboli?? Yum!

Unknown said...

I love Stromboli. I know what I'm making this weekend.

@CCG good idea on the spinach.

Jess said...

Well hot damn! I do believe I have been inspired to have one of my roommate cook that for me!

Ron said...

I LOOOOOOVE stromboli.... but never had a good recipe. Problem solved. And only "real" people are going to be allowed to eat it.

Mama Dawg said...

I'm hungry now. Thanks.

Momo Fali said...

YUM! What a great idea...and my kids would love it! I'm doing this for sure.

Expat No. 3699 said...

That looks delish!

Jen said...

Yum! I may just have to fight the snow and go out to get the stuff to make this.

ChurchPunkMom said...

oh stop.. you's makin' me hongry!!'

i love stromboli. mmm...

Chris said...

Oh Wow!! You'd think, that being such an easy recipe, all of us would've already known how to do this. I feel like I've been missing out for so many years.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for "Cooking with Kat". I am gonna try it though. Zack would prob love it..he is a pizza freak.

Captain Dumbass said...

Oh my! I think even I could do that.

Heather said...

I am so going to make that. I usually have trouble making stuff that calls for the crescent rolls, but leaving it in one big piece looks doable.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! That looks so yum!

OhCaptain said...

That's gonna be prepared very soon at this house....NUMMMY!

Jean said...

Yum!looks so darn good and so easy to make! Thanks for the baking stone hint - great idea!

Anonymous said...

Dude, I thought I was the only one to unroll the french loaf and make the stromboli! I make it just like you as a round baking stone.

Anonymous said...

You cook?

I mean...that looks really good!

You made that?

Anonymous said...

Please stoppitt! I'm trying to eat healthileee! (Wanders off to list ingredients on tomorrows' shopping list)

Wendi said...

1. I can do this!
2. My kids would eat this.
3. I think I love you.

Unknown said...

Now THAT's my kinda cooking, we will be braking this out next week for sure! Thanks.

Dr Zibbs said...

That looks so good. (Found your blog through Cameron's)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat,

Just started reading, thanks for the recipe. love pizza!

Cheers, Cat

Jodi said...

Thanks! My kids will love this.