Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, August 29, 2011

A Little Help Here

As most of you know, I pretty much "wing it" when it comes to parenting. Yes, I seek the advise of my mother and grandmother. I bounce ideas off my friends. For the most part it has worked out pretty well for me. I have two fairly well behaved kids. Generally. Most of the time. At least out in public.

My biggest parenting "issue" right now is at bedtime with KiKi. She has always been a mama's girl. She wants me to be by her side all the damn time a good bit of the time. When she is upset she will just say "I want you" which doesn't exactly mean she wants me to pick her up or cuddle her, she just wants me to physically touch her. I could be just holding hands with her or putting my hand on her knee while she sits next to her, but she craves *my* physical touch. Now, onto my problem, I would really like to not be in the room with KiKi when she goes to bed. I know, I know, I know, I should have broken this habit already, but we have already established the fact that I am winging it at this whole parenting thing. Right now, I usually lay in bed with her until she goes to sleep. She has a double bed so it isn't exactly uncomfortable, but there are things that I would rather be doing like watching primetime TV getting a start on the next days housework.

So, Internet people, how do you suggest I get myself out of my 5 year olds room at night. When I leave she usually follows me. When I tell her that she needs to stay in bed, she doesn't. I also have to contend with the whimpering and the "I want you," which melts me every single time. Help!